Saturday, April 29, 2017

Toby the BENGAL CAT

Toby entered my life aged 14 weeks and he proved to be an extremely strong character. I have owned cats of different breeds for many years but never one quite like Toby. He is very demanding and as a kitten would regularly grab hold of the legs of anyone from whom he wanted attention. If he was feeling ignored he would lie in wait and literally ambush anyone who passed by, grabbing them and hauling himself up their legs. Fortunately he usually did this to males who were normally wearing trousers!

Bengal kitten Mel
Bengal kitten Mel
(Photo credit: 
Wikipedia)
He was always fascinated by water and liked nothing more than to sit on the side of our bath dipping his paws into the water and flicking it over himself. He fell into the bath on more than one occasion and there was much splashing and scrabbling of claws against the side of the bath. Of course he then had to be thoroughly dried which took some time. This meant end of bathtime for the poor person whose bath he had infiltrated.

He never quite understood the shower though. Perhaps it was because we always ensured that the cubicle was firmly closed. He would sit outside and stare longingly at the cascading water and the instant the door was opened he dived in and managed to get his paws as wet as possible.

Toby’s love of water meant that he enjoyed the hosepipe immensely. He would watch the water shoot out of the end and keeping just out of the reach of the spray, pat at the few droplets that landed by him On one occasion he stopped looking at the water coming our of the hose and walked the length of it to where it was attached to the outside tap. He sat and stared at the tap mewing very loudly.


One day when he was ten months old he was hit by a car and badly injured. We were sure he would not survive but our wonderful vet pinned his shattered pelvis together and after a couple of months, while not quite as good as new, and with a slightly odd gait, he was back to his mischievous ways.

When we moved to a property that had been empty for some while we found that the lavatory was blocked. I lifted the inspection plate to see what was there. What I thought I would see apart from the obvious I cannot imagine. But lift the lid I did and who should join me but Toby. He stood beside me as I looked gloomily at the mess. He peered into the unpleasant gaping maw of the drain hole and slipped straight in.


I has to haul him out and as I lifted him from the stinking vile brown mess of God knows how many bowel evacuations. I put him in the back and hosed him off trying at the same time to remove my clothing which Toby had managed to cover with a layer of vile brown slime. I admit to being helpless with laughter as I attempted to clean us both up and I have never attempted to lift a sewer inspection plate again.

Nowadays Toby is a little more sedate and his main interest in life is the loft and the ladder which leads to it. He sits and mews longingly at the loft hatch until someone takes pity on him and hauls down the ladder and takes into the roof for a good wander round.



No comments:

Post a Comment