Tuesday, April 10, 2018

My Favorite GERMAN SHEPHERD

English: A German Shepherd dog Polski: Owczare...
A German Shepherd dog Polski: Owczarek niemiecki (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I have a lot of fond memories of my childhood years. My family shared great times of vacationing and of enjoying our annual winter trip to the mountains for skiing. We shared every Saturday morning's breakfast together and we even liked to play games together on Friday nights. I truly loved my growing up years and I loved being a part of my family. My absolute favorite memory of childhood, however, is not a memory of my family at all, it is my memory of my favorite German Shepherd dog.

I got my German Shepherd as a birthday gift on my tenth birthday, so I guess you could say that the memory is in some way connected to the family who purchased Ruffy (as I named him) for me. I loved that dog. I had been asking for one ever since I was in first grade, and I guess by the time I was turning ten my parents realized that I was serious about wanting a German Shepherd and that I probably wouldn't stop asking until they gave me one. So all of my childhood dreams came true the day I turned ten and came home from school to discover a brand new German Shepherd puppy waiting just for me.

My four siblings were not thrilled about the birthday gift my parents had chosen. Apparently, they had each asked for an animal in the past and had never received anything more than a small tank of fish. I felt pretty good about the fact that I was the first one to receive a German Shepherd for my birthday, even though I know it was only due to my nagging that my parents finally melted and agreed. I was very generous, for the most part, about sharing my German Shepherd with my brothers and sisters. We spent countless hours that summer playing with Ruffy, trying to teach him new tricks, and of course, teaching him when and where to go to the bathroom.

I guess my German Shepherd became my best friend in a way that no one else had. I had some trouble fitting in with the other kids at school and so I quickly became attached to my German Shepherd enough that it didn't matter what anyone else thought of me because I had Ruffy to go home to at the end of a long day.

Ruffy and I spent the next thirteen years getting along great. When it was time for me to head off to college, I left my German Shepherd in the care of my mother, who did a fabulous job with him. I have nothing but fond memories of my German Shepherd.




No comments:

Post a Comment